--disable-nls

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Feb 5 11:51:32 PST 2011

On Feb 5, 2011, at 06:03, Gaetan Nadon wrote:

> and it does not need to.

Actually, it should, in order to disable undersired support or pull in undesired dependencies.

> The libXpm package has a minimalist custom configuration to locate the
> gettext function in the intl library provided by the intltool. The sxpm
> and cxpm apps have isolated translatable strings into separate files.
> These messages strings have not been translated and are not installed in
> share/locale.

I have libintl on my system from MacPorts, it is not shipped with OS X.  I've been shipping XQuartz builds that don't use libintl (because it's not on the system), and I've been using --disable-nls to enforce that.

With the latest build, however, I was experimenting with different toolchains, and the MacPorts prefix was searched for libraries, and it picked up -lintl even though I didn't want it to.  If I had shipped the resulting binaries, users would've had unresolved dependencies (on libintl).

> The package does not use AM_GNU_GETTEXT and therefore the disable-nls
> option does not exist. The nls support cannot be more disabled than it
> is now.

Why not?

> This option comes from the nls.m4 macro installed by
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT in the package m4 directory for those who use the macro.
>
> The correct fix for this situation is to remove this option from the
> command line when configuring libXpm. I would not recommend spending
> effort in adding nls support so it can be disabled by this option.

Then how do you suggest I handle this?  My current workaround is to move the libraries out of the way during configure time.

--Jeremy