xserver distcheck broken with and without --disable-devel-docs

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sat Feb 19 08:24:15 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 17:08 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> (19/02/2011):
> > The scenario in question is running distcheck in a VPATH build when
> > doc generation is disabled which conflicts with the requirement of
> > mandating generated docs in the tarball.
> >
> > This scenario does not affect distro/OS builds as far as I can tell.
>
> Out-of-tree build (with doc enabled) failed for me. I'm attaching the
> patch I used to get going. Need to figure out why $(abs_builddir)
> instead of plain $(builddir), though. Please also note the typo fix
> for the last target, there was a missing slash.
>
> Failure:
> | make[3]: Entering directory `/home/cyril/debian-x/xserver/xorg-server.git/build-main/hw/dmx/doc'
> | /usr/bin/doxygen ../../../../hw/dmx/doc/doxygen.conf
> | error: tag HTML_HEADER: header file `doxygen.head' does not exist
> | make[3]: *** [html/annotated.html] Error 1

That code has not changed for years. Perhaps a subtle change in automake
behaviour.
Out of curiosity, what version do you use? It may explain why just a few
people noticed it.
I am on automake 1.10.

The patch does the right thing, might as well post it for review.
The header/footer files must be in the build directory.
Note that abs_* is in automake >= 1.10 which is ok as 1.10 is our
minimum.

Make sure to nuke html/ as it is not removed by clean-all.