Spinning in _XReply

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Feb 21 19:38:51 PST 2011

IDL is a data visualization package used a lot by astrophysicists (http://www.ittvis.com/ProductServices/IDL.aspx)

> The only Mac that I have access to is a Mac Mini that I bought for my
> lovely wife
> two years ago, but she does not really like me getting too near to it.

Well it has nothing to do with Mac.  It's a re-entrancy issue with _XReply.

> A work-around would be to increment a static count in the code that is looping
> and break out, with an ugly warning message when the count gets too high.
> But then your users might complain about some other thing being borked...

That's not exactly elegant.  My original question was never really answered.  Should we actualy support calling _XReply from an error handler?  If not, then this seems like an issue for third parties to fix (although it does raise binary compatibility concerns)