Spinning in _XReply

Rami Ylimäki rami.ylimaki at vincit.fi
Fri Feb 25 04:08:38 PST 2011

On 02/23/2011 04:35 PM, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> X server seems to preserve the extension codes until the server is
>> regenerated and therefore all connections should use the same codes.
>>
> Is that guaranteed by some protocol or does it just happen to work as
> the requests in error handler did?

This is a good point and I can't find a definite answer for it.

Documentation of "C.2.1 XInitExtension" from Xlib manual says that the
Xlib specific extension number in XExtCodes is connection specific,
which makes sense, because the number is managed internally in Xlib and
not asked from server. Then "C.5.11 Deriving the Correct Extension
Opcode" says that a separate XExtCodes should be maintained for each
connection.

So I think that one shouldn't assume that opcodes stay the same, even
though it seems to be so in practice.

-- Rami