[PULL] Server build fixes

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:01:38 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> (25/02/2011):
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:43:58 -0800, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Dan Nicholson (2):
>> >       xfree86: Allow sdksyms.dep to be included portably
>> >       dmx: Construct paths in doxygen.conf to fix VPATH builds
>>
>> Merged.
>>    780a77a..6b951de  master -> master
>
> I fear that the sdksyms part is broken. If one builds with some
> options different than the ones used to generate the tarball, the file
> isn't generated again, leading to such issues.
>
> Example:
> |   CC     sdksyms.lo
> | ../../../../hw/xfree86/loader/sdksyms.c:416: error: 'AugmentSelf' undeclared here (not in a function)
> | ../../../../hw/xfree86/loader/sdksyms.c:417: error: 'RegisterAuthorizations' undeclared here (not in a function)
>
> if xdcmp is disabled, since in include/os.h we have:
> | #if XDMCP
> | extern _X_EXPORT void AugmentSelf(pointer /*from*/, int /*len*/);
> | extern _X_EXPORT void RegisterAuthorizations(void);
> | #endif
>
> A wild guess would be the “touch” added to configure leading to an
> up-to-date target. Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to ship
> sdksyms.c in the tarball? (It was shipped already in rc3 and before,
> but that didn't lead to any issues.)

It should get run every time config.status is run, which is every time
configure runs. So, sdksyms.dep should get updated exactly when the
Makefiles do. I do agree that sdksyms.c shouldn't be shipped in the
tarball, but I think it should work anyway (patch attached).

If you unpack and run configure, that should create a sdksyms.dep
newer than sdksyms.c. Here's what I got after disting a tarball,
unpacking and running configure:

-rw-r--r--. 1 dan dan 213787 Feb 26 08:29 hw/xfree86/loader/sdksyms.c
-rw-r--r--. 1 dan dan      0 Feb 26 08:30 hw/xfree86/loader/sdksyms.dep
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 dan dan   7549 Feb 14 17:21 hw/xfree86/loader/sdksyms.sh

And when I run make, sdksyms.sh is run first and then sdksyms.c is
built. Can you check if that's the case on your error? Or, if you
manually run sdksyms.sh again, does the error go away? You may be
right, though. sdksyms.c doesn't explicitly depend on sdksyms.dep, so
if they're both there on the first run, then make may decide to skip
generating them.

--
Dan