xf86-video-ast: Changes to 'master'

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jul 13 08:56:04 PDT 2011

On 07/13/11 01:32 AM, yc_chen at kemper.freedesktop.org wrote:
>  configure.ac      |    2
>  src/ast.h         |    3
>  src/ast_driver.c  |   60 +-
>  src/ast_mode.c    |   10
>  src/ast_vgatool.c | 1491 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------
>
> New commits:
> commit 666abcb51ac69161a548055ee41274f2131551ca
> Author: Y.C. Chen <yc_chen at aspeedtech.com>
> Date:   Wed Jul 13 16:20:31 2011 +0800
>
>     xf86-video-ast-0.93.09

Commit notices should have a bit more information than just a version number
unless all you're doing is bumping the version number to make a release.
And since distros use the tarball releases to make their packages, just
updating the version number in git doesn't result in anyone shipping your code.

You can make a tarball release by following the instructions on:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ReleaseHOWTO

or you could contact the other developers with experience making releases
and ask one of us to build & post a release tarball.

In any case, right now, as you can see under
	http://www.x.org/releases/individual/driver/
the last time anyone made a xf86-video-ast release tarball was
xf86-video-ast-0.91.10.tar.bz2 in August 2010, so you can pretty well
assume that none of the versions you've marked in git since then are
being used in OS distros.   (Certainly, that's what we're shipping in
Solaris 11, since we've been waiting for a new tarball release to
update - and if a company that ships your products isn't on your new
code, you can imagine the Linux distros that don't have associated
hardware products to support are further behind.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com