RFC - Overscan compensation configuration in RandR

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Wed Jul 20 14:13:55 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:29:58AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 16:51:59 -0700, Aaron Plattner <aplattner at nvidia.com> wrote:
>
> > Since there's no good existing mechanism for clients to do this,
> > I came up with a few possibilities:
>
> We added margin properties to the Intel TV out driver a few years ago,
> and now those are a standard part of the KMS interface. Would those do
> what you want?

Sort of.  I rejected this idea initially because it causes the actual mode
timings driven by the hardware to differ from the mode described by the
client in the RandR protocol.  One of my goals was to make sure that the
described mode actually matches the driven mode, which means the server
itself needs to know about the margins.  If you don't think that goal's
worthwhile, we could certainly fudge the mode inside the driver based on
some driver-added property.

Even if we do go that route, I'd still like to standardize the option in
randrproto.txt so we don't have divergent implementations like it sounds
like we already have between Radeon and Intel.

-- Aaron

P.S., sorry for the slow responses; I'm on vacation.