1.11 release process (was: [PULL] -next branch for 1.11)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 22:37:31 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:14:26PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
>> Do we need more formal rules for merging code? The RandR 1.4 server code
>> was merged before the protocol and library APIs had seen sufficient
>> review, but we don't have a formal process for either of those
>> modules. Anyone know how to help with that? -- We don't have an official
>> protocol tree maintainer at this point, although Daniel Stone did
>> volunteer to put together another proposal for merging those trees
>> together, and if that happened, maybe we could convince him to run a
>> couple of cycles as release manager.
>
> Yeah, that got caught up in unexpected holiday and/or moving continents;
> by the time I'd got to it, I'd missed the feature freeze for 1.10, so
> just shuffled it down my TODO list and moved on.  I could try again for
> 1.11, and am happy to maintain it.
>
> I described my rough plan here:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-September/013145.html
>
> Feedback/encouragement/discouragement welcome.

I'm not opposed to this in any way, but I'd like to make sure that the
transition be smooth for downstream.  It's all the same files, so it
should be possible to version things intelligently so that modules
depending directly on the protocol headers don't see any difference.
Mostly this should be handling of pkg-config files, but I haven't
given it a lot of thought yet. Just want to make sure it's on your
radar before releases are made.

--
Dan