RandR 1.4 restart

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at cs.au.dk
Tue Mar 8 06:13:24 PST 2011

James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> writes:

> Interesting.  I'm not really sold on the switch to InputOnly windows though.
> It sounds very elegant in theory, but I don't like the idea of apps needing to
> use a separate codepath depending on whether a composite manager is running,
> and I'm not convinced it doesn't have other side effects.  I'll definitely
> have to give it some more thought though.

It will require changes to the applications, yes. For GTK+ I think the
main complication is the fact applications can create subwindows, and
then ask for an XID for those subwindows. These applications will expect
that XID to be an InputOutput window, which would be impossible if the
toplevel was an InputOnly.

This issue is not insurmountable though, since getting the XID for a
GTK+ window is a rarely-used feature and increasingly considered
somewhat deprecated.

Soren