[PULL v2] XResource extension v1.2

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 14 13:35:49 PDT 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:38:54 +0200 (EET), Erkki Seppala <erkki.seppala at vincit.fi> wrote:

>       Implemented first part of XResource extension v1.2: X_XResQueryClientIds
>       dix: add a mechanism for iterating through all subresources

These look fine.

>       dix: add a generic hashtable implementation

We've already got half a dozen hash table implementations in the X
server, most of which are heavily tuned for a particular task.

I raise this solely to ask whether we should be trying to reduce that
number at some point by creating some shared version, and if so, whether
we need significant additional review of the API and implementation to
see which existing hash implementations could be replaced by a shared
version.

I don't know the right answer here; the server has frequently grown
essentially duplicate code and we haven't been good about merging it
later on.

>       dix: add reference count of the resource to ResourceSizeRec

This seems to be used (at present) only for pixmaps. And, pixmaps can be
referenced by many things. Is there some specification for which
references are included in this count?

>       Xext: add support for X_XResQueryResourceBytes
>
> Rami Ylimäki (3):

>       render: Report pixmap usage of pictures to resource extension.
>       composite: Report pixmap usage of client windows to resource extension.

This patch is out-of-sequence -- it uses LookupResourceType which isn't
defined at this point.

>       dix: Add reverse resource name lookup function to registry.

Ick. The names are purely informative, if you need the resource type,
then export the necessary variable.

keith.packard at intel.com