GSoC proposal

janikjaskolski at aol.com janikjaskolski at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 13:04:27 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

as recommended in irc, my proposal via mailing list:

Based on increasing every day use of Convertible-Notebooks, Tablet-PCs and other touchscreen controlled devices, the need for more comprehensive control elements must be adressed.

Even though Multitouchinteraction and Interactive Surfaces present refined control elements, the usability is not comparable to the variety of Mouse / Keyboard / etc. input possibilities. A user is very limited in the way he or she can interact with the machine, once the only input device is a touch sensitive surface.

Those limitations may be lifted through the welcoming of additional sensory input and connecting that input to already registered touch triggered events.
I currently work on a bachelor thesis, which incorporates microphone feeds using a c standard audio lib and reduces that input to a fast queryable format to enable the correlation with xf86-input-evdev events.

As a GSoC project, I could work on writing an abstract driver, that supplies a data structure that can be written to from any possible input reader (audio, video, ...), similiar to the evdev emulation code for MB3. With the difference, that any event can be triggered, depending on the content of the data structure.

The event flow would be, that EvdevProcessButtonEvent calls one more filter method, f.e. EvdevEmuTouchInteraction. This method and the underlying code is the interface between evdev.c and whatever code supplies the input.

In the case of my bachelor thesis, it will be a ring buffered feed from the build-in microphone, which is concurrently analysed through spike detection. The feedback from the spike detection algorithm is posted to the data structure to which EvevEmuTouchInteraction queries will be directed.

The GSoC project in short:
- evdev extension to expand touchscreen control
- abstract driver which works with different sensory input devices
- API interface for interaction with the extension from s.i.d. analysis code

Best regards,

Janik aka. Sticks