About kdrive status

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu May 12 00:26:22 PDT 2011

On 05/11/11 11:46 PM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:02:16PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> I haven't actually looked into building the X.Org server / xfree86 DDX
>> on darwin as an alternative, so I can't confirm that they don't work
>> (just that it's never been tried by me).  Jamey, do you know who told
>> you that it doesn't work, or can you tell me specifically what doesn't
>> work, so I can put it on my list of things todo?
>
> "notmuch" tells me it was Alan Coopersmith:
>
> http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-June/009489.html
>
> That's all I know. I've never tried building the xserver tree on
> non-Linux. I'd love it if you make my dreams of unifying the xserver hw/
> directory come true though. :-)

I've not tried building on darwin/OSX either, though I always meant to
try someday, but configure.ac is currently pretty clear:

if test "x$XORG" = xyes; then
[...]
        case $host_os in
          linux*)
          freebsd* | kfreebsd*-gnu | dragonfly*)
          netbsd*)
          openbsd*)
          solaris*)
          gnu*)
[...many details omitted for the above...]
          *)
                XORG_OS="unknown"
                XORG_OS_SUBDIR="unknown"
                AC_MSG_ERROR([m4_text_wrap(m4_join([ ],
                [Your OS is unknown. Xorg currently only supports Linux,],
                [Free/Open/Net/DragonFlyBSD, Solaris/OpenSolaris, & GNU Hurd.],
                [If you are interested in porting Xorg to your platform,],
                [please email xorg at lists.freedesktop.org.]))])
                ;;
        esac

You'd at least need some sort of hw/xfree86/os-support directory to use
there - maybe darwin can use the common bsd stuff, perhaps with just the
pci stub routines?

Whether that's the only issue or not, I've never looked to find out.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com