[RFC] Inclusing of xkbset in xorg/app

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Wed May 18 17:07:40 PDT 2011

Let me add a few comments.  (I don't know if I am allowed to post to the
xorg-devel mailing list, so if I am not, maybe Peter could forward this
for me.)

First, my man page is horribly incomplete, but the command "xkbset h"
gives a rather comprehensive list of all the commands.  I had intended
to include a lengthy description of how mousekeys can be adjusted, as
well as how the accessx feature works.  There is a very good and
detailed description in the document
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/X11/XKBlib.ps, but it embedded in the
middle of the document, as this document is meant for programmers, not
users.

Note that there are a few of the XKB features which I didn't
understand.  You will see statements like "What is this?" written in the
help message.  You might like to fill these in with a correct
description of what those XKB features do.

Second, the C source code is actually generated by perl code.  I will
admit that the generated C code is probably easier to follow than the
perl code.  But I am kind of proud of the perl code.  If you choose to
remove the perl code in the code repository, I understand.  But then I
would like to maintain my code on my website, so that there is at least
some record of it.

Third, xkbset is included with some Linux distributions, for example
Ubuntu.  Maybe they would need to be told that the source code is being
moved to the X repository.  This is particularly true if it gets placed
inside xkbutils.

Fourth, it definitely makes sense to include xkbset in xkbutils.

Thanks, Stephen