Coping with -Wunused-but-set-variable, first round

Cyril Brulebois kibi at debian.org
Fri May 20 08:34:58 PDT 2011

Hi,

gcc 4.6 has -Wunused-but-set-variable[1]:
,----
| New -Wunused-but-set-variable and -Wunused-but-set-parameter warnings
| were added for C, C++, Objective-C and Objective-C++. These warnings
| diagnose variables respective parameters which are only set in the
| code and never otherwise used. Usually such variables are useless and
| often even the value assigned to them is computed needlessly,
| sometimes expensively. The -Wunused-but-set-variable warning is
| enabled by default by -Wall flag and -Wunused-but-set-parameter by
| -Wall -Wextra flags.
`----

 1. http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/changes.html

We have a lot of hits, but with the upcoming patchset (30 patches…) we
go down from 126 to 91; remaining parts include fb*, shrotpack*.h,
render2swap.c stuff, which I was a bit reluctant to patch without
thinking of it a bit. So the patchset should only have “easy to
ACK/NACK” items.

It's also available in my repository:
  git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~kibi/xserver unused-but-set-variable

Mraw,
KiBi.