s3switch maintenance

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:37:44 PST 2011

[s3switch is a tool for switching outputs on S3 Savage cards]

Hi,
Due to popular request, I would like to revive the s3switch tool and
maintain it. It is still shipped in Fedora, based on a patch set from
Debian and a couple of additional patches, but meanwhile it has
ironically been dropped from Debian. To make it easier for everybody,
I would like to set up a new "upstream" for it. I am also maintaining
the related xorg savage driver*.

So I have set up a git repo and applied the patches I could find in
Debian and Fedora:
 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tormod/s3switch
I have faked the git history in order to give due credit as far as I
could, digging through package changelogs and patch descriptions.
Please tell me if there is something you are not happy about, I can
still rebase it.

xorg-devel: Maybe I should directly make an own project/module for it,
to not host it in a private repo? It is a bit like radeontool and
similar.
Guido: I am willing to maintain it in Debian (and host it in
collab-maint or pkg-xorg), maybe you can help with some "paperwork"?
Tim: Did you think people would ask for this, 10 years after? :)

Best regards,
Tormod

*) Ideally this tools' functionality should be available through
xrandr. But it would require porting the DDX to xrandr 1.2 which I
think nobody wants to do. Patches would be welcome though! So for now
it is easier to keep s3switch alive instead.