Changes causes application

Ratin ratin3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 01:10:24 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 06:36:06AM -0700, Ratin wrote:
>> Hi I have an X11 based application that renders video on the monitor
>> upon launch, sometimes when launched, the video does not start
>> rendering until mouse click event happens. The same code worked
>> perfectly fine with older X Org server version (1.6)
>> - only started happening with recent update to server 1.10 version
>> (along with NVidia driver update). I was wondering if anybody can give
>> me some clue as to what might cause this.
>
> What application is it? Does it make X requests from more than one
> thread?
>
> Jamey

Hi Jamey, Thanks for the insightful question. Its a bit complex video
wall application (single or mutiple video from multiple source files,
cameras etc is decoded by CPU or GPU, rendered on single or multiple
panes within a window (bunch of child windows inside a parent window).
For each child window - there is another window (stacked) which shows
the background if video is not available for that window - and thats
done with glx (make current - load texture and call swap). At any
given instance, one window is on top of the other.

As far as multiple threads operating on one window - I would say yes,
since the window content gets updated by the hardware decoder API
(VDPAU presentation queue - I would consider this to be from a thread)
and we have another thread waiting for some x input events for on that
window and operating on the same window if such input occurs (such as
mouse click). But this   input event handler is not absolutely
necessary.  Do you suggest taking this second thread out of the
picture and see if the problem persists?

Ratin