Possible regression with "Add hysteresis-based noise reduction" in synaptics driver

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Tue Nov 22 15:19:07 PST 2011

Hi Peter(s),

the story behind the default noise cancellation is that I chose what
worked well on my system (25) and figured out a reasonable fraction of
the diagonal that approximately gave me that number (0.5%; see
set_default_parameters).

"My system" refers to an old HW I no longer have in active use, and
pretty much every pad I ran across had better noise characteristics. So,
I'm in favour of lowering the default value to something more modern HW
does well with. Maybe 0.25 %?

The reason for defining it as a fraction of the diagonal is to be more
HW invariant than with a fixed value, but it's also something more or
less made up from thin air.

Before I forget, it's possible (in theory) for the kernel to supply
"fuzz" values, but I haven't seen that in practical use. Those could
make it into your property, but I suspect that is what happens.

Cheers,

Simon