No valid modes found while starting X

Caio Ricci caiaoricci at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 06:41:02 PST 2011

Hello,

   I am trying to set  a multi-seat station under Kubuntu 10.04, so i'm
starting from the basics, starting two separate X servers in a station
 with two videocards.   In my xorg.conf  i have two ServerLayouts.
 If i try to start my offboard layout with "startx -- :1 -layout seat 1"  I
get some error saying there were no screens found.

 Whitin the log, i can see it tried to load using different modes :

(II) SMI(0): Output LVDS using monitor section Monitor1
(II) SMI(0): Not using mode "1280x1024" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) SMI(0): Not using mode "128x1032" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) SMI(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) SMI(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (doublescan mode not
supported)
(II) SMI(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) SMI(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (doublescan mode not
supported)
(II) SMI(0): No remaining probed modes for output LVDS

with the following error :

 (II) SMI(0): Output LVDS connected
(WW) SMI(0): Unable to find initial modes
(EE) SMI(0): Output LVDS enabled but has no modes
(EE) SMI(0): No valid modes found
(II) UnloadModule: "siliconmotion"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

This same config file was working good yesterday. I don't understand what
is the problem. In the log i could also find this :

(II) SMI(0): TFT Panel Size = 128x1032

I think this is the main reason of my problem, but can someone with more
experience confirm? Or point what else might be a problem? I provided below
all of the info i could think about.

Thanks in advance.
[ ]'s

Full xorg.1.log :
http://pastebin.com/e1q3XxdH

Relevant lspci and xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/RxRAaDz7

I am following this website guideline, its mostly the same as any other
multi-seat guide i could find.
https://www.cs.drexel.edu/node/17042

I am using the  package xf86-video-siliconmotion  found in this repo:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-siliconmotion/log/?h=master
More specifically this version
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-siliconmotion/tag/?id=xf86-video-siliconmotion-1.7.4
I can't use the last version because of the xorg-macros, it requires a
newer version, which i couldnt update.