[RFC] xserver: rip indexes out of the API/ABI

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 07:47:31 PDT 2012

Hi guys,

Over the Easter break I had the idea that life would be a lot better
if we didn't expose xf86Screens and screenInfo to drivers, going
forward with hotplug I had some new ideas about how things might work
but removing xf86Screens + screenInfo from the ABI is definitely a
pre-requirement.

This patch series tears strips out of the current API, its not complete,
with further changes to ddc/i2c code I can remove all references to
xf86Screens from drivers. I've got a bit more work to stop them
peaking inside screenInfo.

I also have a patch from Daniel that will allow xf86ScrnToScreen to
become simplified to pScrn->pScreen.

I'm also contemplating just embedded a ScreenRec inside ScrnInfoRec,
as it seems kind of pointless to have them separated (again future work).

Again it bears repeating , this tears up the current API pretty well,
I've ported -ati, and its not brutally ugly on the driver side, esp
if drivers define xf86ScrnToScreen and xf86ScreenToScrn themselves
when its not there.

Dave.