xwininfo: const in iconv

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Aug 24 18:14:20 PDT 2012

On 08/23/12 07:52 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> When compiling xwininfo on NetBSD, I get:
> xwininfo.c:1912:6: warning: passing argument 2 of 'iconv' from incompatible pointer type
> /usr/include/iconv.h:46:8: note: expected 'const char ** restrict' but argument is of type 'char **'
>
> In NetBSD's xsrc we use the attached patch to fix this.
>
> I think that the argument is const on NetBSD and Solaris and not-const
> on Linux (and perhaps other systems).
>
> Suggestions how to fix this, or is it just not worth the effort?

I think that's already taken care of via the AM_ICONV autoconf macro that
checks for the constness of the pointer and sets ICONV_CONST appropriately,
but we don't seem to have released a tarball with that fix (commit
1410b0f0a9d50973) in yet.

Do you still need your patch if you build from git master?   If not, we
can easily roll a release since it looks like a number of commits happened
after the last release, but none in a while, so it's hopefully somewhat
stable.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com