Req for resolution: Installation Errors - libX11, libXtst

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 29 12:00:10 PST 2012

On 12-01-29 10:38 AM, J Habib wrote:
> Hello Team
>
> I want to use xdotool for simulating click and touch on a MeeGo-based
> IVI device (Target).
>
> I downloaded the xdotool from
> http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/ and the pre-requisite
> libraries: libX11-1.4.4.tar.bz2 and libXtst-1.2.0.tar.bz2 from
> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/lib/ but I am not able
> to install the pre-requisite libraries on MeeGo using the config and
> makefiles provided with the package. Also zypper install xdotool or
> pkcon install xdotool on MeeGo Target is not able to fetch the xdotool
> as it is not available for MeeGo repository.
>
> Please find below the list of errors displayed while configuring &
> make (libX11-1.4.4.tar.bz2):
>
> ./configure
>
> checking keysym definitions... configure: error cannot find keysymdef.h
>
> After providing the above header path in configure file (commenting
> the line 14262 and providing the hardcoded path at 14263), the
> following error is displayed on configure:
>
> checking keysym definitions... ./configure: line 14488: syntax error
> near unexpected token '('
> ./configure: line 14488: `$ac_echo_n "(cached)" >&6`
>
> make:
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop
> (The above is probably because config is not complete)
>
> make -f Makefile.am
> Makefile.am:1:***missing separator. Stop
>
> Could you please provide the info on or direct me to the concerned
> team for providing info on how to proceed for installation of xdotool
> on MeeGo and/or from where should I download the compatible xdotool
> and the pre-requisite libraries if the above are not compatible with
> MeeGo.
>
> Thanks
>
> J Habib

If you look in libX11 configure.ac,

    # Always required
    X11_REQUIRES='xproto >= 7.0.17 xextproto xtrans xcb >= 1.1.92'
    X11_EXTRA_DEPS="xcb >= 1.1.92"

these are the packages (and probably some more) you need to build
libX11. Those packages in turn may need other packages to build.
Unfortunately, the presence of these packages are checked *after* the
check for keysymdef.h from the "xproto" package.

A good place to look for dependencies is in each package .pc file. Look
for "Requires" variable for a hint on the prereqs.

The method you are using, building from source starting at an arbitrary
point, will eventually work but it is a long road. You might look in
your OS packages for some X development libraries and headers which
would give you a head start.

Note that when you run ./configure, the default installation directory
is rooted at /usr/local or /usr depending on your platform. When running
'make install', you must have root permission, else if will fail to
install binaries or headers which will cause subsequent packages to
fail. Look for an S["prefix"]= string in config.status to find the exact
value.

You may not have noticed, but you were able to run ./configure that far
because there is an xorg-macros package already installed on your box.
Running pkg-config --print-errors --variable=prefix xorg-macros will
tell you where.

Now you have little choice but to ./configure --prefix <where ever the
rest is already installed>.

This wiki might help:
http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide#Building_Individual_Modules_Yourself