Looking ahead to the 7.8 katamari

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Jun 7 18:30:55 PDT 2012

As is traditional when we release a katamari, I have created a new wiki page
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.8 to hold the incomplete todo items carried
forward from the 7.7 page, and a few other things that have been discussed but
not previously put into the wiki.

Developers, please use your X input event generating powers to activate the wiki
edit icon and enter text changes to make the contents more or less realistic.

Also, I know I said last time I wouldn't be doing another one (and my predicted
unavailability in the latter half of last year was correct, leading to the
release not coming out until this year), but this time I really mean it - I've
accepted new responsibilities at work, leading to less time available for doing
X.Org tasks, and passing on the katamari release manager baton is next on my
list of ways to balance it out.

Since no one seems to have screamed loudly about our katamari release cycle
growing from 6 months to 12, and now nearly 18 months, it might be reasonable
to plan on 7.8 coming out with Xorg server 1.15 in the second half of 2013.
If that's the schedule we want, a release manager or release management team
should be in place by this time next year.   The workload can be spread out,
especially the load of releasing individual modules - the main thing we've had
a single person for is deciding when to call it done and what to pull in or
keep out.   That could also be handled via a team small enough to reach
consensus without endless bikeshedding debate.  I will be happy to advise and
pass on any knowledge/scripts I have to whomever is willing to take this on.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com