No subject

Sat Jun 9 14:17:18 PDT 2012

needed to build from source. It's not part of the GNU build system
architecture. It's a legacy script from the days where autoreconf did
not exist and a handful of commands had to be submitted every time.
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
So, a few months later...any further thoughts on this?  Anything I can
do to help?

I know it's a trivial thing, but I've made a lot of progress in
standardizing the build-from-git across many modules in the stack now,
and X.org definitely stands out in sheer module count =)

</pre>
    I have kept thinking about it since then. The changes to the script
    are ok, but if the whole point of installing a copy through
    util-macros was to save patch work for the future, having an "else"
    part defeats the purpose. In the future, we would end up with
    (potentially) two different behaviours depending if the script was
    installed or if the "else" part was used.<br>
    I'd rather have a script change only and drop the "install through
    util-macros" part. This will reduce the overall complexity and
    reduce the number of places to investigate when things go wrong.
    Changes to the script are likely to be several years apart. <br>
    If I had time to implement this project, I would have included a
    patch from Roland Mainz which add quotes to support directories
    containing spaces. I cannot locate the patch itself, but I wrote a
    note as to where the quotes were added:<br>
      <tt>environments like Cygwin, UWIN, SFU etc. where user homedirs
        very</tt><br>
      <tt>often have whitespaces etc. in the name of their home
        directory.</tt><br>
    A note about <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/test/xorg-gtest/">http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/test/xorg-gtest/</a>. This
    module has a different script (the only one so far) which never runs
    ./configure. Chase Douglas is actively maintaining this module. The
    new script you are proposing might just well be what he was waiting
    for.<br>
    Overall there are about 240 modules that are being published at
    different intervals. The list can be obtained by running
    modular/build.sh -L.<br>
    If you post the revised patch, I'll be happy to review it. <br>

--Boundary_(ID_sj6r1l6MtZBvuGDPBHl5aA)--