libX11: Changes to 'master'

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 20 10:55:34 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-20 16:41, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 23:03:44 +0100, Pander wrote:
>
>> However for ó I beg to differ. The vowels aeiou and diacritics `´'~^¯¨
>> are completely available in both orders. Because the are used so often,
>> missing out on <o> <apostrophe> will break the consistency in this
>> series and decrease user experience  and expectency of the system.
>>
> Then let's make it consistent by only having one of the orders for new
> sequences.  Over time people will get the order that actually works in
> muscle memory, we won't have so many duplicate sequences that make it
> impossible to ever add new ones for new symbols, everyone wins.

I completely agree on this policy for new series of sequences.

Note that it is not only a case of muscle memory. In languages such as
Danish, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, etc. one speaks and thinks in
terms of ``e with an acute accent'' or ``o with an acute accent'' so it
easy and intuitive to type the same order in the compose sequence. Also,
some people are not quick in learning sequences so they can easily
reconstruct the order from how they hear or say the combination.

That is why these series for these four often used diacritics of '`^" in
many languages have been created in the first place and used widely by
the large user base of GNOME. These are all very regular diacritics.

It was not an easy task to consolidate the almost 400 exceptions and
additions made in 2008 by gtk+. Now gtk+ can use a direct download
Compose.pre from X.org and finally delete gtk-compose-lookaside.txt
which was causing conflicts.

Since this concerns an existing conflict and not a new sequence, I hope
you see the international value of resolving this to map <o>
<apostrophe> to ó. This will result truly in a win-win situatión with
the same compose sequences for all users of X, including GNOME.

Regards,

Pander