no more indexes - clean up API

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue May 15 14:43:54 PDT 2012

On 5/15/12 5:33 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 05/15/12 02:10 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> There's a lot of cleanup material if anyone really wanted to go after it after
>> this, 4/19 for example I think we could drop FreeScreen from the ScrnInfoRec
>> entirely with only modest driver fixups.
>
> Not for Dave's series, but I've always dreamed of having the Block/Wakeup
> and related API's in WaitForSomething redefined to not be so tightly tied
> to select() and its long bit-per-possible-fd bitmasks, so we could maybe
> even move to poll() or something even more fancy someday.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Yes.

There's a few drivers with block/wake handlers but they're basically not
using the file descriptor mask (from a quick scan).  The biggest
consumer of that is actually the non-SIGIO input path.  xfree86's
GeneralHandler API is what that ought to look like, at DIX level.

- ajax