lack of reviewers

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Fri May 18 00:43:28 PDT 2012

Am 18.05.2012 01:14, schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:39:55AM +0200, Ernst Sjöstrand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> (sorry for jumping in from the outside and breaking the thread!)
>>
>> I read about this problem and wanted to offer a suggestion!
>>
>> What if you set up a Gerrit server for git.freedesktop.org? That's the
>> tool the Android OpenSource project uses among other things:
>> https://android-review.googlesource.com/
>> Perhaps if it was easier to contribute to reviewing code, more people
>> would do it more often?
>
>> It's also a very nice tool I have to say, I use it every day at work.
>> It's easy to integrate with automatic
>> testing of patchsets before they're submitted to the repository for example.
>
> tbh I doubt what we have is a tool problem. Patches are sent to the list and
> can be reviewed quite easily there (for subscribers, anyway). The issue we
> have is manpower and, more importantly, manpower of people with enough
> knowledge to judge whether a patchset has side-effects beyond the obvious.
>
> in the end, such patches tend fall on the shoulders of a few and adding
> another tool that they have to check will increase, not decrease, the
> workload for those.

Maybe i can be useful, since i am not a core developer but i review patches from
time to time on the code only. For me the biggest problem is that i can not get the
whole picture easly. When i do the same with linux patches i can go to LXR and get
an idea what is going on. For *me* it would be helpful to have such a beast for X11.

Getting more people into reviewing is a hard business because the motivation can be
very different.

just my 2 cents,
re,
 wh