lack of reviewers

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:38:07 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2012 12:40, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

>>> tbh using a mailing list for that looks very impractical.
>>>
>>> - patches get missed completely
>>

>> true. we do encourage people to re-submit. which, aside from the obvious
>> disadvantage, has advantages too. I found the problem with any todo list is
>> that sooner or later it becomes so long that you either have to wipe it (by
>> switching to a different system sometimes) or you start ignoring stuff
>> anyway.
>>
>> given that one of the problems is reviewer bandwidth, I expect this to
>> happen with any new tool. patchwork was great in the first few weeks, now
>> it's a kitchensink great for getting URLs and not much else.
>
> Given that reviewer bandwidth is scarce it would be perhaps helpful to
> spare it by having a tool that presents all the not-yet-reviewed
> patches in one place rather than reviewers fishing for them in the
> mailing list or in the patchwork.
>

>> requiring people to ping when patches get missed at least notifies us which
>> patches have people behind them that care. a feature that gets submitted
>> once, forgotten and no-one pings for it may not have been that important to
>> begin with.
>
> When you get the 5th patch for the same regression submitted the third
> time it starts to look like shouting your patches off a cliff in the
> dead of the night.
>

>>> - there is no track of what is related to what (as in the part of the
>>> same patchset or new revision of the same patchset)
>>

>> patch are usually in numbered series, in threads, with new revisinos being
>> prefixed with "v2", "v3", etc. requires submitter discipline but it works to
>> some degree.
>
> And as some of the patches get replies they get out of order and
> completely out of context.
>

>>> - you get a lots of list noise due to patches being sent one by one
>>

>> I'm not sure I follow this argument, can you expand?
>
> Like a series of 10+ patches for some part of the X server I do not
> understand landing on the list several times.
>
> I guess some people are fond of replying to the patches and quoting
> them in their email client and I can see that as nice feature but it's
> paid for by tons of list traffic. Necessarily large part of that is
> meaningless to most.
>
> The alternative is, of course, a link to git branch or something like that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

I think that a tool that allows you to see diffs in a web interface
and do point-and-click defect submission would never hurt. As long as
it doesn't interfere with existing processes (too much).

--
Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.