question about the bfd cursor description

Vincent Torri vincent.torri at gmail.com
Tue May 22 04:41:50 PDT 2012

Hey,

i would like to create on Windows the same cursors that X. It seems
that their description is in this file:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/font/cursor-misc/tree/cursor.bdf

So, I would like to parse it and retrieve the useful informations from
it. For exemple, the "cursor" bitmap:

STARTCHAR X_cursor
ENCODING -1 0
SWIDTH 548 0
DWIDTH 17 0
BBX 14 14 -6 -8
BITMAP
e01d
f03c
f87c
7cf8
3ff0
1fe0
0fc0
0fc0
1fe0
3ff0
7cf8
f87c
f03c
e01c
ENDCHAR

 * STARTCHAR gives the name of the crusor (or its mask)
 * the numbers after BITMAP define the bitmap (I think that the
cursors are of size 16x16 pixels)

but i would like to know the meaning of the other fields (ENCODING
(but i think that this field is useless for me), SWIDTH, DWIDTH and
BBX). I think that BBX is for the hot point but i don't know how it is
computed from these values.

thank you

Vincent Torri