lack of reviewers

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Wed May 23 02:50:21 PDT 2012

On 23 May 2012 06:34, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> On 18/05/12 21:17 , Michal Suchanek wrote:

>>> true. we do encourage people to re-submit. which, aside from the obvious
>>> disadvantage, has advantages too. I found the problem with any todo list
>>> is
>>> that sooner or later it becomes so long that you either have to wipe it
>>> (by
>>> switching to a different system sometimes) or you start ignoring stuff
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> given that one of the problems is reviewer bandwidth, I expect this to
>>> happen with any new tool. patchwork was great in the first few weeks, now
>>> it's a kitchensink great for getting URLs and not much else.
>>

>> Given that reviewer bandwidth is scarce it would be perhaps helpful to
>> spare it by having a tool that presents all the not-yet-reviewed
>> patches in one place rather than reviewers fishing for them in the
>> mailing list or in the patchwork.
>

> I believe that patchwork was supposed to be that tool, but either it's not
> set up correctly or it just doesn't do that. I don't know but if patchwork
> can do this, then this would be a simple immediate step.
>
> having said that - it can't be perfect without manual intervention - when
> patches go through multiple revisions someone still has to mark them
> manually as obsolete.

Well, gerrit is a BTS just like bugzilla except it it branch tracking
system, not bug tracking system.

So it likely has states for new, in-review, needs-update, obsolete, ...

> At several times in the past we noted the need for someone to just collect
> leftover patches but that never happened, usually due to lack of
> time. we really need someone to actually do it.

That's something that a tracking system is supposed to do, be it
patchwork or gerrit.

>>> patch are usually in numbered series, in threads, with new revisinos
>>> being
>>> prefixed with "v2", "v3", etc. requires submitter discipline but it works
>>> some degree.
>>

>> And as some of the patches get replies they get out of order and
>> completely out of context.

>>> I'm not sure I follow this argument, can you expand?
>>

>> Like a series of 10+ patches for some part of the X server I do not
>> understand landing on the list several times.
>>
>> I guess some people are fond of replying to the patches and quoting
>> them in their email client and I can see that as nice feature but it's
>> paid for by tons of list traffic. Necessarily large part of that is
>> meaningless to most.
>>
>> The alternative is, of course, a link to git branch or something like
>> that.
>

> git branches are _incredibly_ painful to review. they're good for testing,
> but the steps involved to point out an issue in a specific hunk of a
> specific commit involves a lot more steps than just hitting reply and
> starting to type.

Gerrit has an interface for that.

Not sure how well it works since I never used gerrit extensively but
it's obviously doable.

Thanks

Michal