don't pull yet, but read: pull request for abi/api changes

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu May 31 00:44:08 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> writes:
>
> (the fact that this change ends with a net loss of code is a definite bonus...)
>
>>       xf86: change EnterVT/LeaveVT to take a ScrnInfoPtr (ABI/API break)
>>       xf86: modify FreeScreen callback to take pScrn instead of index. (ABI/API)
>>       xf86: move AdjustFrame to passing ScrnInfoPtr (ABI/API)
>>       xf86: migrate SwitchMode to taking ScrnInfoPtr (ABI/API)
>
> Can you remove the 'flags' arguments at the same time? I can't see any
> use of it for any of these functions.

Seems like a good plan.

>>       xserver: drop index argument to ScreenInit (ABI/API) (v2)
>
> Has this been built on Windows/MacOS? I'm sure Jeremy and one of the
> xwin folks would be happy to check to make sure things work before
> merging to master and getting surprised.

No but we have tinderbox, and if things turn a red I'll be able to work out what
went wrong. Alan at least pointed out all the obvious places I broke
Xwin/Xquartz
in the first round of postings. The Linux tinderbox is also going to
go very red,
until I schedule the driver heavy lifting.

>>       int10: cleanup one unnecessary use of xf86Screens
>>       int10/vbe: don't use xf86Screens. (ABI) (v2)
>
> Could we change xf86DrvMsg* to take pScrn? Or is that too scary a
> change?

No totally too scary for now, maybe in the future, but not something
I want to touch with a barge pole right now.

> Also, looking at int10/linux.c -- that code sets pInt->scrnIndex, but I
> can't see a change to that in this patch? Either I'm missing something
> (easy today, I'm afraid), or the linux.c code isn't used...

Will take a look, I've no idea if we use this code,

>>       vbe: don't use index for VBEInterpretPanelID (API)
>>       int10/linux: drop use of xf86Screens from linux specific int10 code
>
> (see above, shouldn't be assigning pInt->scrnIndex = screen).
>
>>       xserver: convert block/wakeup handlers to passing ScreenPtr (ABI/API) (v2)
>
> The doc change doesn't update the name of the Block/Wakeup handler
> argument from 'nscreen' to 'pScreen'.

will fix,

>>       xf86: make xf86DeleteScreen take a ScrnInfoPtr
>
> Another function with an unused 'flags' argument.

cool can drop that as well.

> The rest of the patches look good to me. And, as you can see above, my
> comments are mostly bikeshedding anyways.

Cool I'll fixup the stuff here and send another do-not-pull yet request.

Thanks,
Dave.