xscope: missing xtrans configure check

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Oct 18 22:35:26 PDT 2012

On 10/18/12 04:23 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 08:45:50AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:46:00AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>> xscope configure doesn't check for xtrans, but the build fails if it's
>>> not found, because one of its headers is included.
>>>
>>> Patch needed?
>>
>> yes, if it fails to build, it needs the check
>
> Hm, there already seems to be a check for it in the configure.ac to
> turn off the xscope dependency, but it seems someone didn't consider
> that when changing code.

I don't think I've checked building without xtrans since xscope got
converted from Imake to autotools, and it seems this got broken in
that conversion, back in 2008.   Jeremy added the --disable-xtrans
flag, so I figured that must have worked for him at the time, but
he may have still had xtrans installed at the time so not noticed.

I do see it doesn't build without xtrans now - is there some reason
that's a useful way to build it?   Should we just make the xtrans
requirement absolute?   It's not hard to fix, but since no one maintains
the non-xtrans mode, we may go another 5 years after the next time it
breaks before anyone notices.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com