Installing proto pc files in /usr/share/pkgconfig?

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 24 10:39:18 PDT 2012

On 12-09-23 01:35 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> Hi Gaetan,
>
> The proto packages install their pc files in $(libdir)/pkgconfig, but
> this leads to files being installed in /usr/lib32 or /usr/lib64 when
> there's nothing ABI specific about them.
>
> Would it be reasonable to install them to $(prefix)/share/pkgconfig instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

This has been debated a few times on the list. I think there would be a
bigger consensus in favour of it today, but some sticky points would
remain. Here is a random excerpt I got from the list:

    Furthermore, <X11/Xfuncproto.h> and <X11/Xpoll.h> (from xproto) and
    xtrans.pc have system-dependent substitutions, so they cannot be used
    for cross-compiling.

Given the modular nature of the X packaging, and the wide variety of
OS/architecture, a per package approach rather than an all or nothing
approach might obtain a consensus. Any current issue would not go away
by virtue of an eventually single protocol package.