xserver crashes with segfault

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 16 03:46:24 PDT 2013

Hi,

with xserver 1.14.0 me and other embedded ARM users [1-3] are facing
segfaults. Bisecting lead to:

commit 31bf81772e146af79b0c456aae2159eba8b0280f
Author: Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com>
Date:   Thu Sep 20 14:00:09 2012 -0400

    dix: Repack ClientRec

    Pick smaller types where possible, including bitfielding some Bools and
    small enums, then shuffle the result to be hole-free.  192 -> 128 bytes
    on LP64, 144 -> 96 bytes on ILP32.

In this commit several struct members were shortened. Seems that
variable(s) were shortened too much (maybe standard types are compiled
different for ARM architecture). Next step is to check code and test
for each variable touched by the commit. So if somebody sees some
variable not fitting I would be thankful not to walk through this
brute-force path.

Andreas

[1] https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/446I
[2] http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=38568&p=321673