Three recent blog postings on DRI3000

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Aug 4 08:04:42 PDT 2013

> From the protocol viewpoint - OK. However, I think that at some point
> some configuration request (similar to setting the xrandr primary
> output? or even reusing that information, if it works) should be added
> in order to make the "X server picks" case more predictable.

Using the RandR primary output would be easy; although I'm not sure it
would do exactly what you want in every case.

I think the automatic selection heuristic could be a bit fancier and get
closer more of the time though. I suspect what you really want is for
the monitor containing the 'full screen' version of the window to be the
synchronization source, which is to say the monitor which contains the
greatest proportion of the window's pixels, and when multiple monitors
show the entire window, then pick the monitor which has the fewest
pixels from other windows visible.

For multiple 'perfect clones', we could then fall back to the RandR
primary output.

Seems a bit complex; but is it less complex than adding yet another
twisty configuration parameter?

keith.packard at intel.com