Present extension name alternatives

Bryce W. Harrington b.harrington at samsung.com
Tue Aug 13 16:48:14 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:47:46PM +0200, Keith Packard wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:
>
> > Can you remind me what it actually does?  I see several posts on your
> > blog describing various features, but didn't see a big picture/introduction
> > for those who haven't been closely following DRI3000 development.
>
> The first Present post tries to explain what the extension does:
>
>         http://keithp.com/blogs/Present/
>
> In short, it's a way of getting new window content onto the screen in a
> vblank-synchronized fashion from a pixmap. This should allow regular X
> applications to produce efficient and non-tearing updates, and when
> combined with DRI3, will also allow direct rendering applications the
> same features.
>
> So, the fundamental purpose of the extension is to get bits from a
> pixmap and stuff them on the screen. I called it 'Present', intending to
> use the verb form and not the noun (as in I present you with this lovely
> pixmap, please put it in my window). Some verb indicating the submission
> of new contents is what I'm looking for here.

Some sort of transportation analogy might provide some additional
options.  Specifically words implying faster than average transport,
expedite, express, rush, dash, whisk, sweep, skirr, airlift, fling, lob,
propel, shunt, sprint, expel, volley, extradite, alight, launch, shoot,
boost, blast, flit, splash, disembark, bypass.  More hipsterly:
skedaddle, tote, spew, schlepp...

Or, sticking with display, a few more synonyms:  manifest, flourish,
brandish, flaunt, vaunt, divulge, evince, emanate.

Not sure any of these are any better than Present.  Schlepp would be fun.

Bryce