Using systemd-logind Session.TakeControl() from Xorg, input needed

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Thu Dec 5 07:05:59 PST 2013

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Ray Strode also said: "You can't shut down an X server unless
> it's in the foreground.". I can remember having done that
> without problems just yesterday when working on systemd socket
> activation for the xserver. I've just tried and I can happily
> kill (normal kill not -9) Xorg :1 running on vt2 while I'm
> inside a terminal on Xorg :0 running on vt1:
I don't think that works in all cases, but I can't be more specific,
because it's vague in my head so others would have to chime in.

Another issue, is X jumps back to the VT it was started on when it exits,
but I think we can work around that behavior by making sure the X server
acts as if it was started with -novtswitch or so.

I started working on wayland integration a couple of months ago, but put it
to the side when I got side tracked by other projects. That's here:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gdm/log/?h=wip/wayland

On that branch (which isn't ready for prime time yet) you can put:

X-GDM-NeedsVT=true

in the xsession file for the session then gdm will allocate
a VT and jump to that VT before running the session.  If the X server is
activated implicitly by the session trying to connect to the socket in XDG_RUNTIME_DIR,
then things should "just work" without GDM managing the display at all.  GDM won't try
to reuse the greeter's X server or start a new X server explicitly if X-GDM-NeedsVT=true.

The branch is still in progress and I don't exactly remember what state it's in/what bugs
it has, but I'm planning on picking it back up next week. after I finish up this
RHEL work, I'll play with the idea then and report back (unless you get to it first).

--Ray