Patchwork improved for X.Org repos

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Dec 14 12:43:16 PST 2013

Huge thanks are due to Carl Worth, who set up git commit hooks in all
the X.Org repos so that when you push to our master repos it will
automatically mark as "Accepted" any matching patches in the X.Org
patchwork.  He also ran these scripts over the existing commits, which
cleared out about half of the outstanding patches in our patchwork.

This should make it much more feasible to actually use patchwork to keep
track of which patches have been applied or not, but still requires humans
to mark patches which were amended before pushing (or otherwise not matched
by patchwork) as "Accepted", those we decided against as "Rejected", and
those that got revised/resent as "Superseded".

I've done a bit of this cleanup now - I tackled the libs patches first, and
was able to get rid of many and already found some we'd let fall through the
cracks.   There's still 25 pages left of patches overall on
	http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/Xorg/list/
(There were 48 pages earlier this week, so you can see how far we've come.)

Anyone can update the status of their own patches - "maintainers" can update
other people's patches.  The current set of maintainers is listed on
	http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/Xorg/
and I believe any existing maintainer can add new ones if more developers would
like to help us clear the backlog or update patches as time goes on, so that we
can use patchwork more reliably going forward.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com