Initial DRI3000 protocol specs available

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 02:18:19 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 07:45:09PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> ┌───
>     DRI3BufferFromPixmap
> 	pixmap: PIXMAP
>> 	depth: CARD8
> 	width, height, stride: CARD16
> 	depth, bpp: CARD8
> 	buffer: FD
> └───
> 	Errors: Pixmap, Match
>
> 	Pass back a direct rendering object associated with
> 	pixmap. Future changes to pixmap will be visible in that
> 	direct rendered object.
>
> 	The pixel format and geometry of the buffer are returned along
> 	with a file descriptor referencing the underlying direct
> 	rendering object.

What is the serialization for multiple clients using BufferFromPixmap?
(In particular, with a compositor reading from a DRI3 client controlled
PixmapFromBuffer.) Do we need an Invalidate for when the GEM object is
exchanged for the Pixmap following a Swap (or other external
modifications)? Are all operations still implicitly flushed to the GPU
before any reply to the Client?

Extending this protocol to supersede MIT-SHM would also be useful if it
makes the serialization explicit.

> 11.2 XvMC / Xv
>
> It might be nice to be able to reference YUV formatted direct rendered
> objects from the X server.

And for Render, along with passing blobs.
-Chris