Unified automake init (was Re: xorg-server 1.13.1, - checksum post-mortem)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jan 3 19:18:16 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 03:55:49PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 01/ 3/13 03:38 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > is there any particular reason we're still generating gz and bzip2?
>
> Because we're not hip enough to have replaced gz with xz like all the cool kids?
>
> Or because updating the automake flags in 200+ configure.ac scripts is not fun.

just played around with this a bit, looks like a the common code for
initialising the projects can be moved into a macro, as long as AC_INIT is
still in configure.ac. which is the project-specific part anyway.

So a common template could be

AC_DEFUN([XORG_DEFAULT_AUTOMAKE],[
AC_PREREQ([2.60])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([Makefile.am])
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h])
AC_CONFIG_AUXDIR(.)

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign dist-bzip2])
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
])

which would make adding options easier in the future. switching to xz,
changing/removing AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, etc.

note, I've only tested this on a simple test project, not across all xorg
modules.

Cheers,
   Peter