support for HW_SKIP_CONSOLE breaks use by blind people

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Jan 8 09:07:10 PST 2013

Michal Suchanek, le Tue 08 Jan 2013 16:03:06 +0100, a écrit :
> There is already -novtswitch option. Making a corresponding -vtswitch
> would be simplest provided it overrides the HW_SKIP_CONSOLE override.

novtswitch still allocates the VT, so it's not the same.

> The OP however wants the X server to DoTheRightThing(tm) automagically
> but there is no agreement yet what the right thing exactly is.

Well, I hope I have made my point clear: the blind user case should
get exactly the same behavior with the dummy video driver (without
configuring anything else) as the 99%-standard user case, with other
video drivers. I.e. a VT gets allocated, switched to, and keyboard/mouse
events there go to the server.

Samuel