[xkb] Patch for a new keyboard layout

k_runarsson at simnet.is k_runarsson at simnet.is
Thu Jun 13 02:56:22 PDT 2013

Hi,
I apologize if I'm bothering you guys with trivialities but I have a question I could not easily find an answer to. I've created an Icelandic keyboard layout for the newer generation of Apple aluminium keyboards. I modified the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/is file which was straightforward enough. The layout works fine. However, I could not motivate Gnome 3 and it's 'Region & Language' wizard to acknowledge the new layouts until I modified the following files:

 - /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst
 - /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml
 - /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst
 - /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml

Are these xml/lst files auto-generated in which case it should be enough to just submit a patch for /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/is or do I have to submit a patch to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ for all of the above files?

Cheers
KR