[xkb] Patch for a new keyboard layout

Kristján Rúnarsson k_runarsson at simnet.is
Thu Jun 13 12:48:46 PDT 2013

Hi,
and thanks for your help. If I understand you correctly…

1) I download the xkeyboard-config sources here:

http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/src/

or from the git repository

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/

I take it using the Git repository is preferable to the tar-ball or the CVS repo?

2) Then I modify

xkeyboard-config/rules/base.xml.in

…and create a patch against the original.

3) Next I modify:

xkeyboard-config/symbols/is

...and again create a patch against the original.

4) Submit bug report to:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org

using the 'xkeyboard‑config' product and attach the patches.

5) My keyboard layout will eventually find it's way into Fedora and friends without any further action on my part and will be detectable by the wizards in Gnome/KDE and pals?

Cheers
KR