xrandr providers and offloading to displaylink usb card

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Mar 18 14:27:54 PDT 2013

On 03/18/2013 10:08 AM, Sam Lanning wrote:
> On 07/01/13 07:03, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Sam Lanning <sam at samlanning.com> wrote:
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> I have a displaylink usb adapter which i have been trying to get working
>>> with my setup for a while.
>>>
>>> when i run

>>> i get the output

>>> and after running the command

>>> I get 3 new outputs added to xrandr:

>> that doesn't seem like displaylink to me, the driver will never create
>> LVDS outputs.
>>
>> Might want to confirm with a copy of the log file.
>>
>> Dave.
> Hey,
>
> It's been a while (busy with academia) but now i have some time to try
> and get this working again.
>
> I'm running on a laptop with optimus, i believe that the second provider
> listed above is actually my nvidia card. Now i am aware that the hdmi
> port is connected only to the nvidia card, this would match up nicely
> with what i have above, i.e. i activated my nvidia card, hence
> activating my hdmi output, along with the outputs of the other display
> ports (which are connected to both cards)
>
> So it seems my problem at the moment is this:
>
> I have (what i believe to be) the latest display link drivers installed.
> When i plug in my usb gpu, i have a new device listed under lsusb:
>
>> Bus 002 Device 008: ID 17e9:01d7 DisplayLink
>
> And a new corresponding framebuffer device /dev/fbx appears (although
> interestingly it is fb1 sometimes if plugged in at boot).
>
> So my question is, why is it not appearing after calling xrandr
> --listproviders (which shows only my integrated and nvidia cards). Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

There are two DisplayLink drivers: udl, and udlfb.  In my experience,
the udlfb one creates a /dev/fb* device and is *not* a DRM driver.  You
need to unload and/or blacklist that one to let the udl driver do its thing.

The udl driver creates outputs named DVI-*, even if it's really a VGA
device.

--
Aaron