(Crowd funded) fix for SiS 671/771 video cards

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 18 10:52:55 PDT 2013

On 05/12/2013 12:16 PM, Connor Behan wrote:
> On 10/05/13 01:23 AM, Pander wrote:

>>> SiS drivers support EXA and will probably use that by default
>>> when you start one of the newer Xservers that lacks XAA. This
>>> could easily crash if the SiS EXA hooks haven't been updated in
>>> awhile so that's why I suggested "NoAccel" to help diagnose the
>>> problem.

on
>>> I can only find binary blob drivers on that site. A search for
>>>  xf86-video-sis671 source turned up
>>> https://gitorious.org/xf86-video-sis671 so try compiling that.
>>> A comment by an Arch user mentioned something about it working
>>> in 2013 but the module was renamed to sisimedia.
>>>
>> Thanks. Here is the latest version that works with NoAccel:
>> https://gitorious.org/xf86-video-sis671/sis-671-fix
>>
>> Section "Device" Identifier	"Configured Video Device" Driver
>> "sisimedia" Option		"NoAccel"	"true" EndSection
>>
>> Section "Monitor" Identifier	"Configured Monitor" EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen" Identifier	"Default Screen" Monitor		"Configured
>> Monitor" Device		"Configured Video Device" DefaultDepth 	24
>> EndSection
>>
>> The log file is here: http://pastebin.com/nSpWUB7S
>>
>> When acceleration is enabled it freezes the system completely.
>> Usually with the left side of the screen purple (Ubuntu) and the
>> right side of the screen in many different colors (memdump?).
>> That logfile is here: http://pastebin.com/HKBcCySP
>>
>> At least I can use my laptop again at maximum resolution.
>> However, the acceleration support that was working should be
>> fixed. Who is can help out?
> It looks like the SiS driver never did compositing which is what
> the majority of EXA problems are about. It must be the UTS / DFS
> hooks. Here is a patch to remove them http://pastebin.com/74NqqmN2
> which is fine because they do the same thing that a software
> fallback would do.

(manual) patch results in

[    74.465] (II) LoadModule: "sisimedia"
[    74.465] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sisimedia_drv.so
[    74.465] (EE) Failed to load
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sisimedia_drv.so:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sisimedia_drv.so: undefined symbol:
SiSUploadToScratch
[    74.465] (II) UnloadModule: "sisimedia"
[    74.465] (II) Unloading sisimedia
[    74.465] (EE) Failed to load module "sisimedia" (loader failed, 7)

I used this file: http://pastebin.com/XkYfxrQy

How can I fix this?

>> At the same time, can this driver get included with Xorg so it
>> will work out of the box with the next release?
>
> If you mean included with an Xorg katamari, there is probably no
> point. Most distros package individual components. As for why some
> drivers like these need to be downloaded from unofficial git repos
> while other drivers that are equally old have official git repos on
> freedesktop.org? I don't know why that is.
>
> Oh and one more thing. The Arch user of this recommends Option
> "UseTiming1366" "true".

Using this option without the patch fails in working screen. I will
try this again once the patch is successful.