[BUG] broken build: build.sh / libevdev

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 7 14:12:26 PDT 2013

On 13-10-07 12:13 PM, Knut Petersen wrote:
> On 07.10.2013 17:52, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 10/ 7/13 05:44 AM, Knut Petersen wrote:
>>> As libevdev is required now for building xorg,
>>> it should also be supported via "build.sh -L".
>>
>> Perhaps - but build.sh doesn't build libc, a kernel with DRM support,
>> and all the other requirements we expect to be there before building
>> Xorg modules.
>>
> I erroneously assumed that libevdev is part of xorg.

The wiki page http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide/#index2h2
documents the dependencies (projects such as Mesa and libraries such as
libcrypto) required to build all 200+ modules in the xorg project.

Peter,

Is the long term plan for libevdev to become an additional dependencies
for the X.Org project? That is not a precedent, we already have mesa,
pixman and xkeyboard-config as non-xorg dependencies we build. I can add
it to build.sh. If in a few years it become ubiquitous, it can be
removed. I can also update the above wiki page as well.

There is a similar issue with libmtdev, so I might document this one as
well. It seems to be more available on distros.

All,

README excerpt

    |libevdev is a wrapper library for evdev devices. it moves the common
    tasks when dealing with evdev devices into a library and provides a library
    interface to the callers, thus avoiding erroneous ioctls, etc.

    git://git.freedesktop.org/git/libevdev
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libevdev/

    **libevdev is currently in early stages of development. Use at your own risk**

    The eventual goal is that libevdev wraps all ioctls available to evdev
    devices, thus making direct access unnecessary.|