[BUG] broken build: build.sh / libevdev

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Oct 7 17:38:07 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 05:12:26PM -0400, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> On 13-10-07 12:13 PM, Knut Petersen wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps - but build.sh doesn't build libc, a kernel with DRM support,
> >> and all the other requirements we expect to be there before building
> >> Xorg modules.
> >>
> > I erroneously assumed that libevdev is part of xorg.
>
> The wiki page http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide/#index2h2
> documents the dependencies (projects such as Mesa and libraries such as
> libcrypto) required to build all 200+ modules in the xorg project.
>
> Peter,
>
> Is the long term plan for libevdev to become an additional dependencies
> for the X.Org project? That is not a precedent, we already have mesa,
> pixman and xkeyboard-config as non-xorg dependencies we build. I can add
> it to build.sh. If in a few years it become ubiquitous, it can be
> removed. I can also update the above wiki page as well.

libevdev will be a dependency for synaptics, evdev, and possibly the server.
it's not an X.Org project though, just an external library. it's handled by
the release.sh script because I'm lazy and don't want to copy that script
but that's as close as it'll get.  like libunwind it's just a library we
depend on and we don't need to add this to the build scripts.

having said that, if you want to add it like mesa/pixman/etc. to the build
script I'm not going to stop you :)

> There is a similar issue with libmtdev, so I might document this one as
> well. It seems to be more available on distros.

we've relied on mtdev for quite some time now. any distro that still doesn't
provide mtdev but still wants to ship the latest packages needs to sort that
out themselves.

Cheers,
   Peter