Issues adding driver support for present extension

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Apr 17 10:51:33 PDT 2014

Frank Binns <frank.binns at imgtec.com> writes:

> I guess another flag could be added to drmModePageFlip(), e.g.
> DRM_MODE_PAGE_FLIP_REPLACE, that would replace the buffer,
> upon the new buffer becoming idle, and, if a page flip event had
> been requested, send the event for the buffer being replaced.

I don't think we even need a flag -- just have the kernel report that
the previous buffer is now idle and leave the new buffer ready to go.

I'd love to finish this stuff up and get something working the way we
want; right now, drivers are starting to *quad* buffer to get
faster-than-vblank running without tearing, and that's just wrong.

> Great, thanks :)

Do let me know if that helps at all; I'm sorry I didn't get it out for
review earlier.

keith.packard at intel.com