Extending the SYNC Extension.

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 09:12:41 PDT 2014

I have a use case where I need to perform synchronization between multiple
X-server instances. According to the docs for the Sync extension, it was
designed to be 'extensible' so that new system counters (such as exposing
the Posix Monotonic Clock) could be easily added.

However, there doesn't seem to be an API for writing a 3rd party extension
that extends Sync. I'd be willing to create a patch for such an API, but
its not clear how generally useful it would be.

The obvious (and easier) alternative would be to just patch Sync to have a
MONOTONIC_COUNTER system counter.

Would there be any interest in either of these patches, and if so, which?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.