libX11: 32-bit request number wrapping bug

Jonas Petersen jnsptrsn1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 03:52:31 PDT 2014

Am 22.08.2014 um 09:22 schrieb Jan Smout:

>     I cannot stress enough the seriousness of this bug. An application
>     that gets killed by a library without any way to recover is not
>     something to be taken lightly. In a certain sense I got lucky that
>     my app is so heavy on graphics, so I was able to find a solution
>     rather quickly (as did Jonas btw).
>     I suspect most people just see (seemingly) random crashes, shrug
>     and restart whatever they were running and then blame the
>     application programmer for writing shitty software. I find that
>     hard to accept...

I totally agree with this! I fact, in the beginning I was blaming my own
application software for this. It took me quite a while and lots of
effort to realize it's down there deep in the libraries of the os. And
being able to reproduce the bug in only 20 hours or so, does not help a
lot. Even though, due to heavy graphics, this was already kind of "fast".

Regards
Jonas