Large coordinates in the X server

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Dec 12 18:40:10 PST 2014

Robert Morell <rmorell at nvidia.com> writes:

> I think you're right.  I ran a few preliminary experiments with x11perf
> and although I haven't done anything rigorous with error bars yet, it
> looks like making libfb do the translation is actually faster (at least
> for -64poly10convex).  This makes sense because libfb is already pulling
> the points into the cache, so the translation is pretty close to free.

Awesome. I never really liked miTranslate anyways; it seemed like
premature optimization to me, although in the 80s when CPU cycles were
slower than memory and compilers sucked at register allocation, it might
have been a win in some cases. I doubt very much that it was ever
measured though; we didn't have x11perf until long after it was
enshrined in the API.

keith.packard at intel.com